Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sleeping and Eating

Sleeping
We started a couple weeks ago trying to transition Jude to sleeping a bit better. SUCCESS. and by success I mean Daddy can actually be the one to put him to sleep. We have a great routine with him now, Lovey Duck, Jewel lullaby CD plays, and daddy walks him around the darkened room until he's all relaxed, then they lay down on the bed for a bit longer and he drifts to sleep. 


This is amazing because it means I have my evenings back. It is beyond blissful to NOT be the sole bedtime person for him. I used to nurse him to sleep, and that used to be a relatively quick process, but now he's older and he nurses way less during the day, so he wants to make up for it at bedtime and this could mean a good 45 minute nurse fest, which by the end of I was too tired to get back up to do anything, even watch TV, so I would either fall asleep OR make Jude stay up until I was ready for bed which in turn created a tired, fussy toddler the next day (or that evening). SO I knew it was time for change. 


The change was so easy, I am really grateful for that. Jude and daddy get lovely snuggles, and I can do whatever I want in the evening, if I so choose. No more opting out of movies, concerts, dinner, late night TV. 


Looking back I realize that the past 16 months of my life have been so dedicated to Jude. However, I wouldn't change it for anything, it's over now and knowing I have done what was best for him is awesome.  


Overnights are a different question, so that get-away with the hubby is going to have to wait. Jude still wakes once or twice in the night, but I know that this too shall pass. And all too quickly and I will miss it. Although I do plan on attempting night-weaning when he gets to be around 18mos, old enough to understand a bit more and we can have a "conversation" about night nursing. All in good time.


Eating
So the hubby and I follow a way of eating called Paleo. I am not going to go into it now because its alot and I am not in the mood BUT you can read all about it here if you would like. Or just google it and you will find tons of blogs, websites, etc on the topic. 


We have a cheat day every Saturday where we eat whatever we want, this is our lifestyle, "good" for 6 days a week, splurge 1 day a week. It works for us, it makes it easy to maintain, and gives us the knowledge that if we REALLY want that doughnut, cake, cookie, margarita, pasta, bread, etc we can have it....on Saturday, and Saturday is never really that far away.


Weeks come and go, and we are mostly good, and sometimes not, but I also feel that life is to short too be totally psycho about it, but as a general rule, we follow this way of eating. 


Problem: We both want to shred the fat and lean out. 
Solution: Be super strict on "diet" and NO cheating.
Decision by the hubby and me: Whole30 - you can read all about that here too if you would like.


Basic Premise:


Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc.  Read your labels because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.


Do not eat processed foods. This includes protein shakes, pre-packaged snacks or meals, protein bars, milk substitutes, etc.


Do not consume alcohol, in any form. 


Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, millet, oats, corn, rice, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa.  Yes, we said corn… for the purposes of this program, corn is a grain!  This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on.  Again, read your labels.


Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, kidney, lima, etc.), peas, lentils, and peanuts.  No peanut butter, either.  This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, tamari and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).


Do not eat dairy. This includes all cow, goat or sheep’s milk, cream, butter, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream.


Do not eat white potatoes. It’s somewhat arbitrary, but they are carbohydrate-dense and nutrient poor.


SO this is normally what we do in everyday life EXCEPT, I like Truvia and cream in my coffee. I like cheese and greek yogurt occasionally, I really like red wine and dark chocolate, add that in to cheat day, which is an all out carb fest of every variety and you come up with no results, no weight gain, but no weight lost and although i am not AS concerned with "weight" because I do Crossfit too, so that builds lots of muscle I DO know I have fat hanging around that doesn't need to be on me. 


So we are going for it...30 days.


Today is Day #2: I am feeling ok, I had cinnamon in my coffee this morning, and it wasn't that bad, I could get used to it. I think this week and particularly Saturday will be the hardest, not getting my weekly daily mocha from Starbucks and not getting to pig out out once a week. BUT I am looking forward to feeling AWESOME, sleeping better, having better clarity and just maybe taking a few LBS off.


I am posting my starting measurements for personal reference and to keep me an honest woman. Will also try and do updates every few days of how its going.


Stats:
Current               Goal
Bust 32.5"             32"
Waist 30.5"          26"
Hips 38"               35"
Thigh 25"              am ok with that, just want to tone the crap out of them :)
Bicep 12.5"          not sure what a good bicep measurement is, as long as mine have the awesome sculpted apperance and NO bat wing action I am good. Currently I have a bit of sculpting going on, and some bat wing swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment