Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Drugs during labor, and a bit more...

So I am getting ready for midwifery school, and I have to take an NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation Program) exam. The written part is online and the skills part is at a hospital.

Anyways, I going through the information and test tonight and I came across this question and answer that kind of blew me away. Given that so many mothers, myself included (C-section with oldest, Demerol and Epidural with middle), have chosen to have drugs of some sort during labor and birth.

I have heard and read that receiving drugs in labor can cause difficulty breathing and being "alert" in the baby at delivery, however I know that I know this because I have researched it and dug for information on it.

I DID NOT know this prior to my oldest son's or daughters birth, and I find it interesting and sad that care providers are not being more upfront and honest about the true side-effects or possible side-effects of these drugs given out like candy on labor wards.

My intention of this post is not at all to be condescending or administer the ever present "mommy guilt" we all have about EVERYTHING, but just for information and education. Like I said, I read it and it just hit me like, wow, women need to know this information. Informed consent, informed decision making.

Education is power.

So without further ramblings, here is the question, the answer and the explanation of said drugs being referred to.

Q. A woman received a narcotic for analgesia 30 minutes prior to delivery. Her baby has poor respiratory effort following birth. After suctioning, drying, and stimulation for 30 seconds fail to improve  the baby's respiratory effort, what should you do next?

A. Give Naloxone

Naloxone is a type of opioid antagonist. It blocks the actions of opioid medications*.

Naloxone is used to reverse breathing problems (respiratory depression) in newborn babies whose mothers were given opioids during labor.

*Opiates used in labor:
-Morphine
-Stadol
-Fentanyl
-Demerol
-Nubain

How can opiates affect a baby during labor and birth:
-Central nervous system depression
-Respiratory depression
-Impaired early breastfeeding*
-Altered neurological behavior
-Decreased ability to regulate body temperature

*I had Demerol and Epidural with Addison, she was a sleepy thing when she was born and slept A LOT during the first 24hrs and I had breastfeeding issues with her.... although I will never know why, in hindsight I am not convinced this wasn't the reason...grrr.

Here are some of the drugs that make up the cocktail that is the Epidural:

Bupivacaine, chloroprocaine, or lidocain. They are often delivered in combination with opioids or narcotics, such as fentanyl and sufentanil. These medications may be used in combination with epinephrine, fentanyl, morphine, or clonidine.

I find it interesting that we are so obsessed about what goes into our mouths as pregnant woman for fear of harming our baby, and after the baby is born we are so obsessed with what kind of food, or medicine, or germ it is or isn't given. Yet those precious hours when a baby is making its journey earthside its almost as if we forget that it is being affected by what goes on in that process.

I wonder why so many of us just think the hospital is the safest place to give birth, when all of the above could happen because of something that is so ROUTINELY given during labor, not to mention getting other drugs to induce or augment (speed up, help, whatever they want to call it) labor.

ALSO the staggering C-section rate for "failure to progress, or fetal distress" and then you wonder, is my baby in distress because it is or because you put it there??!!

I truly believe the safest place to give birth is at home, with an experience, loving midwife. She will sit with you for 8-9-10 or 15 hours (more if that's what it takes) while you labor and birth your baby. She won't tell you that if you stall at 7cm for awhile that the you have failed, she will help you find ways to move forward, she will allow your body and baby the time it needs to complete the birth process.

There are no rules, no guidelines, no time constraints.

She will allow your body and your baby to determine when that magical BIRTHday will happen.

No fear, no 'deadline', no negativity about your body needing help. Just support, trust, encouragement, and wicked knowledge on all things birth.

Don't just write of home-birth because of you THINK its all about, or THINK the dangers are, I don't care if its your first pregnancy or 4th, you CAN make the choice.

Had a C-section? No problem, VBACS at home, called HBAC's are very successful, you have so many more cards stacked in your favor at home, I promise :)

Have questions? All the midwives I know are more than happy to consult with you and answer them all, no strings attached.

Food for thought, that is all, cooked with love I promise.

It is my passion and desire to give information you may have never been given, it is with a true and pure heart I do so.

(Student) Midwife Mel xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment